Week in Review: The Biggest and Best Stories of the Week

By Admin
General Electric Aims to Rival Caterpillar in Sustainable Mining Train RaceGlobal company General Electric (GE) (NYSE:GE) is leading the rat race in pro...

General Electric Aims to Rival Caterpillar in Sustainable Mining Train Race

Global company General Electric (GE) (NYSE:GE) is leading the rat race in providing railroad locomotives that comply with the tougher US emission standards to the mining industry. The company’s early success is giving equipment manufacturer Caterpillar (NYSE:CAT) a run for its money.

Read more

REPORT: Australia Gains Control of Gold Mining Industry

Australian owned mining companies account for approximately 50 percent of gold mining operations in Australia, according to a recent report by mining consultancy Surbiton Associates.

The shift in control is contributed to foreign investors selling off their stake in Australian mines, giving local companies more control of the country’s $12-billion gold mining industry.

Read more

[VIDEO] Volvo Showcases Futuristic Excavator Concept

The mining industry is adapting to new concepts and Volvo is showcasing what the future of excavators may soon look like.

The automaker teamed up with Swedish industrial design house ‘Prospective Design’ to develop the excavator of the future. The two teams talked with equipment operators to learn what features and functions they would like to see on a machine --whether they were possible or not. What they came up with is one part space age and another part primordial.

Read more

Randgold Resources Remains Loyal to Sustainable Community Efforts in Mali

Randgold Resources (LSE:RRS) is continuing to provide life-changing benefits to local communities in which it operates.

At the company’s Loulo-Gounkoto gold mining complex, the largest of its kind in Mali and one of the largest in Africa, Randgold Resources is continuing its commitment of sharing the value it creates with its stakeholders, including the people of its host countries.

Read more

Newmont Mining to Invest $1-Billion in Merian Gold Mine in Suriname

US-based Newmont Mining (NYSE: NEM) says it will invest up to $1 billion to develop a new gold mine in the South American nation of Suriname.

Under the banner of Surgold, the Merian mine will produce an average of 300,000 to 400,000 ounces of gold annually. Higher grade ore and throughput in the early phases would propel annual production to an average of 400,000 to 500,000 ounces of gold per year in the first five years.

Read more

Top 10 Mining Mergers and Acquisitions of All-Time

#10-AuRico Gold Purchases Northgate Minerals

On August 29, 2011 AuRico Gold Inc. purchased Canada-based Northgate Minerals for $1.49 billion. The deal combined the two companies into one leading intermediate gold producer with five operating gold mines, and three gold development projects in Mexico, Canada and Australia.

The company is now 62 percent owned by AuRico shareholders with the other 38 percent inhabited by Northgate’s shareholders.

Read more

BHP Billiton Plans to Build Pilot Processing Plant at its Olympic Dam

Mining company BHP Billiton is planning to build a pilot processing plant at its Olympic Dam mine in South Australia’s Far North.

The company, which has already applied to the Federal and State Governments for approval on the expansion, is set to run a three-year trial for a potentially cheaper way of processing copper and uranium.

Read more


Featured Articles

The Battle for Control of Rare Earth Minerals Supply Chain

As Australia dilutes China's control of rare earth minerals mines, we look at the struggle for control of the 'magnet minerals' driving clean energy tech

Critical Minerals Driving China's Growing Africa Investments

China's investment in African growing fast as it invests in infrastructure around minerals essential to the global energy transition, especially lithium

Canadian Gold & Uranium Head Top-Ranked Mines

Mining Journal Intelligence 2024 mines report shows gold, uranium, copper & lithium dominating in wake of clean energy drive

Gold Nanoparticle Breakthrough a Sustainability Fillip


South Africa Mining Sector Holds Breath on Nationalisation

Supply Chain & Operations

Worley: The Mining Professional Services Giant

Supply Chain & Operations